Monday, January 30, 2012

Meals: Tested, Tasted, and Approved

Hey everyone, sorry for the prolonged absence but work has been serving up Hot, Fresh Hell the past few weeks. Sadly I don't think things are going to ease up any time soon, so the posts will likely be sparse for the next few months. What will the internerds do without me?!?!

Apologies aside, without further ado, here are some:


I bought this book in the thrift store and Mr Stacy was all "you could veganize those recipes" and I was all "why would anyone bother?!" Seriously gross stuff.  But I liked its looks :).

Here are some not-gross things, though.  First up, a coconut curry very loosely based on this recipe.

Served atop a baked potato, which was quite nice.

And this bad boy:

which was a veganized version of this recipe.  Anyone who reads this blog may know that I love kale and Brussels sprouts. So. Much! So putting the two together should have occurred to me a long time ago. I basically followed the recipe but used toasted bread crumbs and nooch in lieu of the cheese. Suck it, Bon Appetit.

Just a few other things we've enjoyed recently.  Have you ever added bulgur to chili? You should. It's nice.


And curried cabbage with black mustard seed is also tasty (not to mention the red dal): 

But this!!!! This!!!! I love Jae Steele so much! This is from her book Get It Ripe. I tried to find a recipe on the internet but couldn't. ANyhow, it's the sesame-soba-kale dish and this picture (like all my pictures, durn it) does not do this dish justice.  Purple kale is not that photogenic. 

I have made this about 3X over the past few weeks when I came home exhausted and ravenous.  It comes together in the time it'll take you to boil the soba. I did add tofu for protein's sake and sriracha for nom's sake, ha. I also just made it with chickpeas instead of tofu and that was great too. 

That's about it.  Inspired by everyone doing cleanses etc in the blogosphere, I bought Crazy Sexy Diet. I am also trying to eat more raw foods, not that you'd know it from this post. I have to strike a balance bt driving my husband nuts and fulfilling my periodic urges to try strange diets, so I've been eating all raw all day until dinner.  Then we have something very heavy on the veggies but not raw.  Anyone else reading this book? I'd say it's about 70% excellent advice, 30%....errr.....less than excellent advice??? Still, anything to get more people eating their veggies, right?

13 comments:

  1. So many things I love about this post! 1) I love old cookbooks, and I love that you are taking on the task of veganizing the recipes. 2) Mr. Stacy - ha, ha! 3) Curried cabbage 4) Bulgur in chili 5) Purple kale? How have I not come across this in the past?!

    I have CSD, and I like the green smoothies, as well as the 21 day cleanse guide she offers. Sarah (aka VaVaVegan at "This is What I Eat") recently discussed it - check out her page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you've seen purple kale before--people often use it in...wait for it....LANDSCAPING! I'm not kidding. They have it outside my dentist's office and I'm like "can I eat that?"

      I should check out Sarah's blog but I've been so swamped lately, it's hard to start following another blog. I should, though!

      Delete
    2. Hi! Been thinking about you! Hope all is well :)

      Delete
  2. Eating the rainbow! Beautiful meals to be proud of. And raw all day till dinner is very impressive. Maybe you can share some of that in a future post?

    The cookbook looks very...appetizing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shen! I will document my half-assed take on raw. Maybe today even!

      Yes, if you like chipped beef on toast, it's a great cookbook.

      Delete
  3. Bulgar in chili? Oh, yeah! I am so totally not doing a cleanse, but more power to you! Man, I hate being told what to do. So those restrictive diets never work for me. You seem to me to be striking a very healthy balance with the dishes you are creating. I like the idea of veganizing old cookbook recipes, too.

    P.S. Never seen purple kale in my world. Maybe I'll grow it in my garden this year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoa, I wouldn't call it a cleanse at all--just raw 'till dinner. I can't be bothered with juicing every day, and enemas are off the table (there's a whole chapter on them in CSD, which I skipped. Ugh). Having said that, I'm hoping I can keep up the raw breakfasts & lunches thing indefinitely. It's actually not too hard.

      The bulgar thing is great--it adds this kind of meaty, hearty texture that I really like it. It's a Mark Bittman idea :).

      Delete
  4. Bulgur in chili sounds fantastic. And, like you, I'm a big fan of Jae Steele (and her super cute smile doesn't hurt) but I haven't tried enough of her recipes. Love the sriracha swirl.
    Good luck with your cleanse. I understand the need to cook for others, definitely but I'm willing to bet yr husband is a smart one and can figure out a thing or two for himself. That said, I've been cooking specifically for G these last few days and find myself eating things I don't want to/ wouldn't usually and it makes me uncomfortable but I hope it works out better for you and that work eases up as well. Eating raw gives me a lot more free time so work doesn't seem so overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maud, have you tried all her salad dressings in Get It Ripe? So good. There's one using nut butter and soy sauce that is soooooo good. The book is worth the price for those alone.

      Yeah, I really wouldn't call this a cleanse but the upside of that is that I'm hoping I can stick with it indefinitely. Probably "eating like Maud" would be a better description! My better half has been incredibly supportive of my decision to turn the household vegan so I feel pretty okay about not eating just salads every meal. And again, this is probably a more sustainable approach for me long-term. A few nights I've had either a salad or a big bowl of kimchi before dinner, and then Mr Stacy eats all the leftovers for lunch so it seems to be working so far. Part of the reason why I'm eating like this is to give me good fuel to deal with what work is dishing out, so I totally agree with your food-work philosophy!

      Delete
  5. One beautiful plate of deliciousness after another! It all looks fantastic, but I'm especially drawn to the soba noodle dish; it does sound so satisfying. And, bulgur in chili is inspired. I'm going to give that a try...except that my husband told me a few days ago that he doesn't like chili...Wha? I mean, he is Irish and all, but still...not liking chili? What's he like?

    I've read the Crazy, Sexy, Diet, and I enjoyed it. I decided to adopt some of the principles as daily habits rather than doing the cleanse for 21 days. I think it's so much easier if you're vegan to start out with. I like Zoa's response: I like to do things my own way too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, thanks Rose. Can't you convert your husband to chili? I bet yours would be awesome!

    I agree WRT the book. Some of the principles are worthwhile--some just left me cold. And Zoa is always a good source for savvy takes on things :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just curious, which things left you cold about CSD?

      Delete
    2. Well, I have no background in nutrition (obviously), but it's my impression that there's no scientific basis for food combining, which she talks about a lot. I also don't think most people regularly need enemas or high colonics (unless they maybe have some medical condition). And I kinda wonder about the extent to which one should be concerned about (and testing) your body's pH. My concern would be that including this material that may have less of a scientific basis dilutes the primary message of the book--that eating a vegan diet comprised of lots of healthy vegetables is good for you.

      I am totally open to being proven wrong about some of this stuff but I tend to be skeptical about these things in the absence of good data. I'm still happy I bought the book and Carr's story is very inspirational.

      Delete